Market 32: Price Chopper Transformation Complete
Burlington, VT – Sevan Multi-Site Solutions, LLC (Sevan) provided Construction Project Management (CPM) services to help Price Chopper transform its current brand of stores into the new Market 32 brand.
Price Chopper partnered with Sevan and Watt International, a leading retail strategy and design firm, to achieve the dramatic transformation. It involved a complete rebuilding of the store layout, wayfinding, interior design, bold décor, overall presentation of product, name change, and elimination of typical grocery store visual and physical clutter. The enhanced Market 32 brand is projected to generate double-digit increases to average weekly sales.
Market 32’s brand essence, “Nourishing Life”, says it in a nutshell: when it comes to satisfying body, mind and soul, they’re all in. Beyond meeting basic food and household needs, the retailer offers clever solutions and inspiring ideas for everyday life.
So when it came to redesigning the store, Watt and Market 32 forged a design that itself went above and beyond: over-scaled super graphics to guide customers through the space; vibrant product photography to highlight quality; open and approachable service zones to instill trust; and authentic food displays to keep it real. Welcome to ‘”food shopping for the soul.”
Watt International, Market 32 Brand Manger
As the outsourced Construction Project Manager, Sevan held responsibility for overall project schedule, budget, and delivery. The project for the 79,000 square foot store began on October 1, 2017 and included:
- Expanding the Produce department
- Establishing a Deli area separate from the Food Service offerings
- Renovating the Food Service
- Renovating the Bakery
- Introducing a Bakery Patisserie
- Relocating and coupling the Meat and Seafood departments
- Relocating Beer and Wine offerings
- Relocating the Pharmacy
- Relocating Floral
- Rearranging the store Front End
- New Center store gondola and fixtures
- Rearranging Dairy offerings around new island cases
- New finishes and décor throughout
- Opening up the front wall to allow natural lighting into the seating area
- Addition of a Starbucks kiosk within the store
- New Market 32 front elevation monument wall
- Expansion of the store refrigeration system to support new offerings
Additional responsibilities for Sevan involved developing the remodel sequence plan, equipment delivery schedule, conducting weekly team meetings, as well as coordination with Price Chopper Procurement, GC trades, store management, and various vendors and subcontractors contracted directly with Price Chopper.
The project successfully concluded with a grand opening celebration that featured gift card giveaways and a live radio broadcast. This is the first Market 32 location in Vermont and the 18th overall for the regional chain whose commitment to its team members, customers, and communities is key to its ongoing success.